Saturday, 9 July 2016

Trip Diary Part 2: Somerset

The day after flying into London we slept in and had a look around the neighbourhood. When I lived in London in the mid-1990s, Bethnal Green wasn't a desirable place to visit but now it's up-and-coming and vibrant and packed with great eating places.

We took the tube to Victoria Coach Station then it was down to Bath for us. I finally got to show Paul my beloved Somerset.

Wednesday morning, the lovely Tony from Chinnock Taxis picked us up from our beautiful Bath apartment to take us down to Glastonbury. Chatty and friendly, Tony took great care of us and we had a fun drive. We got dropped off at Glastonbury Tor, a very special place for me that I was so happy to share with Paul. A warm, clear day unlike the rain and mud situation of a couple of weeks back when the festival was on!

Next we walked to the Chalice Well, a serene healing garden set out over s couple of acres. The water comes from natural springs located deep underground and the water is rich in iron so all the waterways in the gardens are stained red.

Next we grabbed some lunch and coffee at a vegan cafe on the High Street. Many of the cafes and shops are the same as 20 years ago and of 10 years ago when I last visited. But this cafe was modern and we enjoyed a delicious healthy meal.

Wandering back down the High Street, passing the many shops selling crystals, incense and velvet cloaks, we went into Glastonbury Abbey. This is special place and Paul really enjoyed visiting the ruins. And he got his fill of seeing lots of 'alternative' folks doing their thing... Well, that's Glastonbury for ya!

A short bus ride later and we were in Wells. Our first stop: the Bishop's Palace and Gardens. A gorgeous, serene place with the most beautiful gardens. Quintessential English experience! We got to Wells Cathedral just as evensong was starting so unfortunately they had closed part of the building (where the most ornate features are!) which was a shame as Paul had never been there. But we sat in the main part of the cathedral listening to the organ and some beautiful singing. Outside was early evening and still warm. We grabbed a meal then made our way to the market square where Tony arrived to take us back to Bath. A magical day!

Thursday was spent in the city of Bath. I've been several times but it was Paul's first visit. We simply wandered around the city and took lots of photos. Paul went to the Roman Baths while I walked around (I had been there before). Another lovely mild sunny day. So lucky! We had morning tea at the famous Sally Lunn's and lunch at a really traditional English tea house! A ploughman's lunch of course!

That evening we had the most beautiful pub dinner at the King William, just down the road.

The next morning, a taxi to the coach station via Pret a Manger for sandwiches for the journey, and back up to London.

No comments:

Post a Comment